Pogonik Castle reigns on a small hill above the Sava River at its most winding part, with a railway line running underneath. Pogonik Castle is located 5 kilometres from Litija on the old road to Kresnice. It was built at the beginning of the 16th century, probably after 1511, when a strong earthquake destroyed many castles in Carniola. According to Valvazor’s sources, it was built by the lords of Verne, who used stones from the ruined Vernek.
The castle and its surroundings were particularly colourful during the Second World War. German soldiers moved in and the partisans attacked and burned the castle in 1944. At the same time, they paralysed the invader’s connection between the European battlefields by attacking the railway bridge in Pogonik. The original wooden railway bridge from 1848 was replaced by an iron structure fifty years later. The bridge, damaged during the Second World War, was replaced in 1999.
From here you have a beautiful view of the Sava riverbed, which surrounds the castle on three sides. It is also interesting to watch the traffic on the railway road as the sound of the train trains disappears into the tunnel under the castle.
GPS: N 46°05’03” / E 14°49’27” (castle Pogonik)
GPS: N 46°05’03” / E 14°49’27” (railway bridge in Pogonik)