Tuštanj Castle is one of the few castles in Slovenia that preserve an original collection of furniture, porcelain, documents, urns, pottery stoves and other inventory in its interior.
The castle was built in 1490 and rebuilt in its present form in 1671. The first family to be mentioned are the Counts of Lichtenberg. Tuštanj Castle is the only surviving one of the six castles that once reigned in the Moravian Valley. It has a very rich history, with several families and their stories over the 500 years it has been in existence. The most interesting of these is certainly the story of how the castle passed from the hands of the nobility to the family of the castle gardener, Luka Pirnat, and how the castle has remained in this family to this day.
Inside, the castle has an arcaded courtyard and four corridors with rooms that hide and preserve the gems of the interior life of the nobility of past generations.
- Experience an unforgettable wedding day – civil and church ceremony in plain or castle attire.
- Learn about life behind the castle walls with a guided tour, and local delicacies are served for groups by appointment.
- Educational workshops for schools and kindergartens.
- Organise events or seminars in the unique ambience of the castle.
- Take part in the castle’s cultural evenings.